It’s a caliber that traces its origins from the battlefield to its modern-day presence in hunting camps across the country, and it’s capable of handling even the largest game in North America.
Introduced by the U.S. Army in 1873, this cartridge was first known as the .45 Government. As it made its way into commercially produced firearms the name .45-70 appeared, because it was loaded with a 70 grain blackpowder charge with 405 and 500 grain bullets. Virtually all rifle making companies of the late 19th century chambered their single shots and lever actions for the .45-70. As those companies and their rifles faded away, the .45-70’s popularity did not. Factory .45-70 ammunition has been cataloged continuously since 1873 but never in the variety of loadings available now, in the 21st century. They range from 405 grain lead bullet, low-velocity loads for deer hunting and target shooting to high-velocity 300 to 400 grain jacketed bullet once meant for large game. Its receiver is blued steel fitted with an 18.43″ round barrel and a tubular magazine of four-round capacity.
Photos are stock factory images.
|Stock Material||American Walnut|
|Barrel Length (in)||18.4 in|
|Mag Capacity / Rounds||4rd|
|FFL Requirements||All firearms must be shipped to a Federal Firearms License (FFL) holder. We cannot and will not ship firearms to anyone but a FFL. We must receive the receiving dealer's FFL by fax (314-558-8429) or email ([email protected]).|
|Warranty||Warranty provided by product manufacturer.|